Okay. I finally have a little time to update this thing and hopefully do a journal entry about the experience of Brendon coming into this world. Words will not be able to adequately express the events that happened. I think only I can truly feel the spirits of the many angels who were watching out for me that day. I am truly grateful for them. Here it goes...
Oh another little preface...Aaron had been planning a dirt bike ride for a little bit. I had a doctors appointment on the 31st and was only dilated to a one. I had 8 days left until my due date. On Saturday when Aaron got home I was going to go get a mani/pedi to prepare and be cute for when the baby came. I had tons of little things I was going to do to finish preparing for The Day. Aaron had said that he would be home between 10 and 11. Earlier in the week he joked by saying "just watch, at 7 in the morning you will start contracting and it will be right where I can't get cell phone service." Little did he know... (oh and just a warning, I am a little honest and don't mind talking about female stuff, so I apologize)
November 1, 2008
- 4:30 am- Aaron leaves to go riding up to Crown King
- 7:00 am- I wake up to a really bad low cramp. I tried to roll over and change position but it just wasn't going away. I figured it was probably because I had to pee. I got up and went to the bathroom but it was still lingering. Kaden was still asleep (not sure how that happened, he is a 5:30am riser) but I decided I had slept enough and needed to get started on my little projects for the day. I ate breakfast and Kaden woke up. I had taken the baby car seat apart the night before so that I could wash it and get it ready. We took the pieces outside to hose them down and I still was getting these cramps. I had been having contractions prior to this, but these were just different.
- 8:00 am- I call my mom and tell her the situation. In the back of my mind I just have this gut feeling that the baby is coming today. We decide that it would be best if we both showered and got ready for the day and then she would call back in about an hour to check on me to see if I was still having these pains. If so, she would come in and help with Kaden until Aaron got home. So that is what I do. I get in the shower and start getting ready. The contractions are coming about 5 minutes apart at this point in time
- 9:00 am- I call my mom and tell her to start driving. The contractions are starting to come closer together, about 4 minutes and I am in such pain, I want to be at the hospital right now, but I knew I couldn't drive (the hospital is about 40 minutes away), plus I had Kaden. I call Aaron and leave a message on his phone that I thought the baby was coming today and he needed to call me as soon as he got the message.
- 9:30 am- The contractions are between 3 and 4 minutes apart and lasting about a minute. I was having the hardest time focusing on anything in the spare minute and a half that I had between contractions. I was trying to finish packing my bag and getting one ready for Kaden. I called my mom and said "you better be driving fast." She tells me she has not even left the house yet (for those of you who don't know, my mom lives an hour away.) she said she found some bills that she hadn't paid that were due and she had to get that done. I told her we weren't going to make it because she had to drive an hour to me and then we would have to drive the 40 minutes to the hospital. She said she knew that I was uncomfortable but I still probably had about 6 more hours of labor to go through. She asked if there was anyone she could call for me to have pick me up and meet her at the hospital or part way there. I gave her numbers to two friends who were close. At this point it was really difficult to talk on the phone. I called Aaron and left another message stating my mom was on her way to come get me and that we would go to the hospital and he needed to meet us there when the ride was done.
- 9:40 am- Those two friends were unavailable, but one got a hold of one of my visiting teachers and she was going to try to get to the house. This whole time I am trying to pick things up in the house and get bags packed and the camera ready and I am contracting every 3 minutes.
- 10:00 am-Text from the friend saying the VT was going to be there soon.
- I am not sure when Kayla (my VT) got there, but helped me finish gathering my bags and getting Kaden in the car. We started heading towards my mom. My mom had called my uncle who was going to rendevous with us to get Kaden and have him for the day.
- 11:00 ish- We get to my mom, my uncle is still not there. We are waiting around and I am just pacing back and forth doing my labor breathing so as to not scream my head off because of the pain. After about 10 minutes or so, Kayla says "wait, you start heading to the hospital, I can wait with Kaden until your uncle gets here, you get to the hospital." Good point. I load up with my mom and we start driving the last 20 minutes to the hospital.
- 11:27 am- I get into Labor and Delivery triage room. My first question was if my friend from school was working today (she is an L&D nurse), they said yes and I told them to tell her I was here and to come see me. I get changed into the hospital gown. I go into the bathroom to leave my urine and I am bleeding down there all over. In the back of my mind I freak out, I am not supposed to bleeding, especially if I have a lot of labor still to go through. My water hadn't broken yet. My worries went to the baby and all the things that could go wrong. My friend, Yvonne, comes in and says she rearranged things so that she could be my nurse for my labor -YEAH! some good news. She asks if I want an epidural. I tell her yes as soon as freaking possible PLEASE!
- 11:35 am- I get settled and Yvonne does my vag exam and states "you are at a 9 with a bulging bag of waters." WHAT!!! A FREAKING 9, are you kidding me, no wonder I am in so much pain. She says "let me go get another nurse to make sure." She finds another nurse who checks me and agrees. My water breaks with the next contraction. The nurse says "we need a bed and a doctor right away and honey, I don't think we have time for an epidural."
- At the beginning of all of this my brother had been given the assignment to keep trying Aaron on the cell phone. To call every 5 minutes if he had to, but to get a hold of him and tell him to get to the hospital. He must have gotten a hold of him because right about the time my water broke my mom got a call from Aaron and she told him to get there right away. He says he is on his way, but still about 1/2 hour away.
- I get wheeled into the Labor and Delivery suite. One nurse is trying to get an IV in my arm, while the other is bringing in the sterile cart for the doctor. With each contraction I want to push so badly, but they told me I needed to wait because I still had a lip of my cervix that was holding me back from being dilated completely. Yvonne said she thought I could push past it, but she wanted to wait for the doctor.
- Dr. Brooks (the on-site doctor) shows up and asks some questions about previous labor and such and we give him the run-down about that and also about the events of the day.
- to make a long story short (too late, I know) I acted like one of the ladies in the movies who is like screaming her head off while she is pushing. I keep saying "I can't do this...It hurts too bad..." The doctor looks at me and says "all that energy is being wasted, channel that energy into your push and get this kid out." From then, it was all business...A couple more pushes and...
- 11:57 am- Brendon comes into this world. The doctor asks if I want to cut the cord since I am doing all the work anyway (we had told him previously where Aaron was and why the father of the baby wasn't here). Let me just point out that there was only a half hour window of time when they got me into triage and the baby was born. That is not a lot of minutes to spare.
- Not another 5 minutes later Aaron gets there. I felt so bad. Who would have freaking thought that this would happen today and so fast! He felt so bad. He kept asking what he could have done in his day to shave 10 minutes off so he could have been there for the birth. Unforseen circumstances. That is for sure.
- When all was said and done I was laying there with my mind reeling. I went into labor with Kaden a week early, but Kaden's labor had been 20 + hours and over an hour of pushing. How could this baby have come so fast and 8 days early. I just don't even know. But there were so many points along the way that could have held us up to where I could have had the baby in the car or even at home. If my mom would have had to come all the way to my house, we would have never made it. I was so grateful to those who acted quickly and were willing to serve that day. There are so many other little details about what happened which I won't share because this is already long enough and probably pretty boring to those outside the circumstances. But that is that in a nutshell. Lots of fun huh?!
15 comments:
wow! what a day! How amazing that it all worked out okay (well besides daddy being there!) and i think that is awesome that you will be able to have the story that you screamed like the ladies in the movies! way to go!! congrats!
What a crazy day!! I don't think I could have done what you did. That will be a good story for Brendan to hear some day.
Call me crazy but I like hearing other people's birth stories, and this was a good one! Congrats he looks like a sweet little baby.
So glad things turned out so well! You are one tough girl!
Wow! Alicia, you are my hero! I'm glad for you that you at least had your mom and your friend there with you. You are one strong woman, I admire you for that. Thanks for sharing your story.
Congrats Aaron and Alicia. What a crazy day. I'm glad that things turned out well. Not a boring story at all!
Holy moly! That's one heck of a story! But you have a cutesie wootsie baby to show for it! Good job and CONGRATS!!
I'm glad your mom gave me your blog address :)
*Amy Dozier...used to be Thacker!
www.DisForDozier.blogspot.com
Wow!! What a story! Looks like Aaron's comment before he left was definitely a foreshadowing . . . or a jinx!! You are so brave! No medicine! Look at you!! You are so amazing and awesome to make it through that. I'm so glad baby Brendan got here safely. He is so sweet! Chase was born at 11:57am too. I hope everything is going well with having 2 around. I hope you are recooperating ok too. We miss you!
Wow! That's amazing. Thank goodness for visiting teachers - you have a great one! Fantastic story - glad he's out safely. :)
Congrats Alicia!!! You are sooo my hero! I can't wait to see the new little man. Love you all.
Congrats! He is so cute! What a crazy story, I'm so glad you made it to the hospital. Now you'll know to hurry for all the rest--they say your labors get shorter with each one.
I just happened to check your blog because I was thinking you were getting close... It was fun to see that he has already arrived. Congratulations! That will definitely be a fun story to tell over and over again! I hope you and the new baby are doing well.
Wow your mom was great !!! How did she do it???
(Sorry I hit enter before finishing) What a great memory I will never forget. Alicia you were awesome. So obedient as usual. I just had to say Alicia try to relax and remember your breathing and after you said "MOM I KNOW- I'M Trying!!!" you obeyed. Brendon is beautiful and so sweet. I hope the rest of the events in his little life are a little slower. Kaden goes fast enough. Next time Aaron will be home and I will get to babysit like we planned. Maybe.
I love you tons.
WOW! You a one tough momma alicia!! Sorry things went crazy, but congratulations on the new little guy, he is just beautiful, and what a cool story you have now!
Post a Comment